The sound /ɑ/ is present in the suffix –ology. This suffix indicates a field of study.
- Biology – the study of life
- Hydrology – the study of water
- Sociology – the study of human society
- Dermatology - the study of the skin and its diseases
- Ethnography - the study of cultures
- Oceanography - the study of the ocean
- Orthography - rules of correct writing
- Biography - the written account of a person's life
You can hear the difference between /ɑ/ and /ow/ in these words.
Now compare /ɑ/ and /æ/:
These are both low vowels. However, /æ/ is a front, tense vowel and /ɑ/ is a central, lax vowel. Your lips should be wider for /æ/ than for /a/.
You can hear the difference between /ɑ/ and /æ/ in these words.
The party starts at eight o'clock.
2. shopping - stop – latte
Before we go shopping, let's stop for a latte.
3. large - pots - garden
I bought some large pots for my balcony garden.
4. forgot - lock - car
I think I forgot to lock my car.
5. common - problem - college
Stress is a common problem among college students.
6. not - possible - opportunity
It's not possible to say yes to every opportunity.
To practice with different varieties of English, choose another native English speaker by clicking one of the links below: