In this article, we provide useful phrases for writing a resume or recommendation in English. With the help of this handbook, you will be able to compile a qualitative description of a person's qualifications.
Let's say we need to make a recommendation for someone. Where to begin?
Recommendation. Description start
To get started, get set up. Think about how long you've known the person and who they were to you (teacher, manager, co-worker, etc.)
- I am delighted to be called upon as a reference for Ivan Lopatin. I first became acquainted with Mr. Sidorov in 1992, when he joined the...
- I have no hesitancy in writing a letter of recommendation for Mr. Sidorov.
- It is a pleasure to write a letter of recommendation for as Ms. Petrova.
- I have known Ms. Petrova since 1994, when she enrolled in my accounting class.
- It has been a pleasure to be Mr. Sidorov's supervisor since 1992.
- I was Mr. Sidorov's teacher in two advanced quantum mechanics classes during winter semester, 1998.
Intro Phrase Examples
- am honored to support him as a candidate
- am pleased to provide a reference for
- am delighted to be called upon
- am happy to recommend
- am pleased to comment on
- can offer only the highest recommendation for
- first became acquainted with
- first came to my attention when
- has worked directly under my supervision
- has been a pleasure to supervise
- have known Ms. Sidorova for
- have no hesitation in recommending
- have been his supervisor since
- her performance as a
- his qualifications and performance
- have had the opportunity to
- in the past two years
- is a pleasure to recommend
- was a student in two of my classes
Description of the qualification in English
Having written a good introduction, we ensured 50% success, now it's time to back up the words with facts. Let's write here about the person's past work experience, mention his positive achievements (let's forget the bad ones) and provide our story with as much evidence as possible. You can give a general recommendation, then it will tell the reader that you are neutral in relation to the person and he does not have any special "feats".
Below are examples of sentences in English to describe qualifications:
- Since the beginning of our collaboration I know him as an energetic and goal-oriented person.
- Some of the main Irina's attributes are her persistence and diligence sometimes even ranging with obsession with work.
- He grasps new concepts quickly and accepts constructive criticism and instruction concerning his work.
- While she was with us she supervised the maintenance of all computer networks. This responsibility involved working with 42 separate offices.
- He has proactively joined research at our institute.
- I would like to mention here, that John is accurate and thorough in his research, pays attention to details and has no dread of routine work.
- His extraordinary ability to analyze problems and outline necessary courses of action was invaluable.
- In a class of thirty, he completed the course with the second highest grade.
- That was mostly due to her assiduity and devotion to work that she was soon able to proceed with actual experiments.
- I would like to say that it is pleasant to work with Michael, he is reliable and intelligent person with good sense of humor.
- Her greatest talent is in developing innovations for new products.
- John always takes an active part in scientific discussions, demonstrating maturity, strong ability to defend his ideas while paying careful attention to opponent's remarks.
- She finishes her work on schedule. When she has a concern or question about an assignment, she speaks her mind clearly and directly, giving voice to what others may feel but cannot or will not say.
- From our collaboration I can conclude that George has a strong motivation for scientific work. He is a focused and determined person.
Useful Phrases to Describe Qualifications
- a creative problem-solver
- always cheerful and dependable
- always behaves professionally
- broad range of skills
- can attest to his integrity
- careful attention to detail
- comments are well thought out and clearly articulated
- communicates her ideas clearly
- communicates effectively in writing
- completely loyal and trustworthy
- demonstrated particular strengths in
- follows tasks through to completion
- gets along well with others
- handles responsibility well
- has a take-charge personality
- has a flair for organization
- her sensitivity and concern for others
- is innovative and creative
- is a tireless worker
- is mature beyond her years
- is intelligent and ambitious
- is personable and easy to work with
- keeps calm under pressure
- meticulous attention to detail
- one of our finest, most well-rounded undergraduates
- outstanding leadership abilities
- punctual and hard working
- self-motivated individual
- wide-range knowledge of
- willing to go beyond what is required
- willing to take on new responsibilities
- works efficiently and effectively
- works independently and effectively
- works well with little supervision
End of description
It is best to complete your message by expressing readiness for further cooperation.
- Mr. Bright will be a great addition to your program. If I can further assist, please e-mail or call me.
- Jane Bright has my strong recommendation. She will be a credit to your program.
- I am confident that Mr. Bright will continue to be very productive. He has my highest recommendation.
- I give her my highest recommendation, without reservation. Please send e-mail or call me if you have further questions.
- I believe in John's outstanding abilities for scientific work and strongly recommend him for further education at your university, where he can develop and apply his bright talents.
- It is satisfying to be able to give him my highest recommendation. I hope this information proves helpful.
- I enthusiastically recommend Mr. Bright as a promising candidate.
- Seldom have I been able to recommend someone without reservation. It is a pleasure to do so in the case of John Bright.
- I will be pleased to answer any additional questions you may have.
- I am very interested in Mr. Bright's application and will be happy to provide further information.
Phrases to complete the qualification description
- every confidence in her ability to
- give my unqualified recommendation
- has always proved satisfactory
- has my highest recommendation
- have admiration and respect for
- have no reservations in
- hope this information proves helpful
- if I can further assist
- if you have further questions
- if you need additional information
- if you would like more information
- recommend without reservation
- recommend her very highly
- request your favorable consideration of
- should be given serious consideration
- should you have any questions
- will meet your expectations
- will be successful in any enterprise he undertakes
- will be a credit to your
- will measure up to your high standards
- will be a great addition to
- would be an asset to your program
- would be a valuable addition to
Remember not to include comments about race, color, religion, disability, gender, national origin, marital status, or parental status in the description.