What should I be careful about and what kind of English communication should I take when supporting a meeting of a foreign boss in a workplace where there are many foreigners such as foreign-affiliated companies?
Here, let's learn ready-to-use English phrases while paying attention to what you need to be aware of for a successful English conference.
What English expressions are needed for a successful English conference?
Communication in English with participants is essential for a successful English conference. In addition, English communication is required for preparation. Here, let's learn the English expressions required for the preparation stage of the English conference and the after-sales follow-up after the conference.
English expressions for good communication with your boss
Here are some English expressions you should remember to communicate well with your foreign boss. If you're the boss who organizes and organizes the meeting, you may not be upset about the details. Rather than wait until you are told, try to speak out.
- 1Can I help you write up the agenda for the next meeting?
- (Would you like to help create an agenda for the meeting?)
- 2Can I help gather pre-reads for you?
- (Would you like to help collect advance materials?)
- 3Are there any follow-up items I should take care of?
- (Are there any other items you need?)
- FourAre we recording the meeting? Shall I take notes on my laptop during it?
- (Do you want to record the meeting? Would you like to bring your laptop and take notes of the meeting?)
- FiveI will be arriving to the meeting early to get everything set up and ready to go.
- (On the day, go to the venue first to check etc.)
English phrases often used in coordination with English conference participants
When asked by a boss or the like to communicate with participants or outsiders, the expression "I am contacting you according to the instructions of my boss" may be used. "On behalf of ..." is often used at this time.
- I am writing this e-mail on behalf of Mr.… to request your participation in the meeting.
- (I'm sending you an email on behalf of Mr. ~ to attend the meeting)
We may ask attendees to attend and attend, and in the case of important attendees such as presenters, we may arrange the meeting schedule according to the person's schedule.
The English expressions in such cases are as follows.
- Please let us know whether you can attend the meeting by….
- (Please let us know if you can attend the meeting by ...)
- If the tentative meeting date does not suit, please let us know immediately. We are happy to rearrange it.
- (If the tentative meeting schedule does not fit the schedule, please let us know. We will readjust it on another schedule soon.)
I may also be in charge of sending meeting agendas and advance materials. For those who want to check if there are any corrections or additions in advance, it is a good idea to write the following and have them check it first.
- If any corrections or additions to the document are required, please let me know.
- (Please let us know if there are any corrections or additions to the material)
English phrases when booking meeting locations and equipment
Reserving the meeting place and equipment is also an important meeting preparation. Let's not only make a reservation properly, but also reconfirm it with plenty of time when the meeting is approaching.
- 1I would like to reserve a meeting room on… from… to….
- (I would like to reserve a conference room from time to time on Monday to Sunday)
- 2I would like to confirm if the meeting room is available on… from… to…
- (I would like to confirm that the conference room is reserved from time to time on Monday to Sunday?)
English phrases often used in follow-up after a meeting
After the meeting, it is common to prepare and send the minutes. The minutes of the English conference should include the following items.
Minutes (Meeting Minutes)
- Meeting / project name, meeting location, date of meeting
- Purpose of meeting
- Participants and absentees (Attendees and absentees)
- Agenda, discussion topics
- Decisions, Actions
- About the next meeting (Next meeting)
- References (Attachments)
We will send the minutes to participants and absentees. Sending minutes can be a follow-up to absentees, and in the case of a meeting that decides on an action plan, it can be a memorandum of members.
- 1Shall I take the meeting minutes and then send them to everyone?
- (Would you like to make minutes and send them to everyone?)
- 2The meeting minutes will be a good follow-up for those who couldn't attend.
- (The minutes are also a good follow-up for members who couldn't attend the previous meeting)
- 3The meeting minutes will be a good reminder for those who agreed to take some action.
- (The minutes are a good reminder for members who decide to take some action next)
Expression of "Thank you for your hard work"
After the meeting, my boss may say "Thank you for your hard work" in English. If you are a foreign boss, you may receive a thank-you email. Let's know how to return smartly and set.
- 1Thank you for organizing the meeting. We couldn't have done this without your help!
- (Thank you for arranging the meeting. I couldn't do it without you!)
- 2I am always impressed with your willingness to help me.
- (I'm really grateful for your willingness to help me)
- 3It's my great pleasure!
- (I will be happy to help you anytime!)
- FourI'm glad I could help.
- (I'm glad to help you)
- FiveDon't mention it.
- (Don't say that)
Assistants who can understand both Japanese and English are very reliable in supporting English conferences in an environment with many foreigners. Rather than waiting for instructions, an assistant who understands cultural differences is highly evaluated for coming up with ideas and acting independently.
Please remember the English expressions introduced here and use them.